Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Farewell, old friend...

Our old family friend, Ukrop's, is finally gone. It was a grand old store...there through every facet of life.

My grandmother shopped at the original Ukrop's in Richmond's southside and was a loyal customer from the beginning. My mother shopped at Ukrop's, too...and Ukrop's in its quiet, subtle way was there throughout the ups and downs of life. For birthdays, graduations, and celebrations, nothing beat a Ukrop's cake. When you needed some good local fruits or veg, Ukrop's had it. When you were too tired to cook, or just didn't want to cook, Ukrop's was there with meals to go. Even for funerals, Ukrop's was there with its white house rolls, ham, redskin potato salad, and other funeral fare.

I started shopping solo at Ukrop's when I was 16. Every week, my grandfather gave me his list (it was almost always the exact same thing--I still have it memorized...) and I'd get his groceries for the week. His favorite treat were the little coconut tarts. My favorite treat was the cute teenaged boy who bagged my groceries and brought them out to my car. When a cute boy wasn't there, it was one of several cute older guys who knew me when I was little...and recalled bringing my mother's and grandmother's groceries to their cars.

I took my last stroll through Ukrop's a little while ago. My kids didn't understand why I was in tears. I was saying goodbye to an old friend who had been with me through my life. The end of Ukrop's feels like everything I knew growing up--everything old Richmond--has finally gone. Thalheimer's, Miller and Rhoads, and now Ukrop's. There a few places left...Bill's Barbeque comes to mind...I think I'll take the kids out for some barbeque, grape-limeaids, and coconut cream pie.

Meanwhile, goodbye Ukrop's...thanks for being there.

No comments: